Origo Steering Wheel
Smart Controls for Enhanced Safety, HMI and Design
3D Touch on a Steering Wheel
The new Origo Steering Wheel provides a totally new way of interacting with the car UI, improving safety, HMI and design. Canatu CNB™ Touch Sensors are seamlessly integrated into the steering wheel for safe use of key UI functions while driving with hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
Touch controls are used with thumbs, providing intuitive user experience adapted from the mobile world. Smart touch sensors replace multiple mechanical controls for sleek and unobtrusive design. Origo eliminates the need for touching onscreen with index finger and operating the center console trackpads while driving thereby reducing driver distractions.
The new concept steering wheel is ideal for assisted and semi-autonomous cars. Origo is the first joint demonstration to emerge from the Multi-Modal In-Vehicle Interaction and Intelligent Information Presentation (MIVI) project, and has been co-created by Canatu, Rightware, TaktoTec and Siili-Auto.
- Enhanced safety: driver can keep hands on the wheel and eyes on the road while operating the UI for less driver distractions.
- Intuitive HMI: tactile touch controls adapted from the smartphone use providing natural interaction with the car UI.
- Design freedom: transparent 3D touch sensors replace multiple mechanical controls enabling light, sleek and unobtrusive interiors.
Touch-based HMI solution allows driver to manage frequently used UI functions directly from the steering wheel, minimizing driver distractions and improving safety.
Driver can perform many tasks with a simple touch, tap, zoom or swipe. Driver can e.g. slide their thumb at the edge on the left touch pad to adjust volume, or zoom into and out of the navigation map sliding horizontally both thumbs at the same time. The use of thumb-based touch controls is natural for billions of people using smartphones.
Design and structure on the steering wheel and HMI cluster UI are aligned, providing an intuitive in-vehicle experience. Main controls are placed on the wings. HMI cluster features dark background emphasizing key content. Clear design support smooth usability.
Primary functions i.e. climate, cruise control, media, navigation, contacts and settings, are located on the right wing; adjustments and controls on the left wing.
Wing Stack Structure
- Thin and light weight structure
- Design freedom
- Simple to integrate
CNB™ Touch Sensor
Structure enhances the outstanding properties of the CNB™ Touch Sensors:
- Stretchable & flexible: conforms to any 3D shape
- Transparent: allows any surface and light to pass through freely
- Conductive: ensures reliable touch performance
CNB™ Touch Sensors:
- Based on CNB™ Free Form Film that is typically used on applications with touch on 3D surface; compatible with industry-standard injection molding & thermoforming processes.
- 2 sensor layers with multiple touch controls in the same sensor sheet
Want to know more?
Please submit your information to receive your free download.